The airbase was built for the RAF Germany in 1952 and opened in August 1954. In 1958, the Jagdbombergeschwader 31 (Fighter-Bomber Wing 31; abbreviated as: JaBoG 31) based at Nörvenich, was the first German fighter-bomber wing to use the U.S.-built Republic F-84F Thunderstreak of the United States Air Force. In January 1959, this squadron was the first German Air Force wing to be assigned to NATO. In 1961 it was the first wing to use Lockheed F-104 Starfighters. The first “Tornado” (Panavia PA 200) started in July 1983 from the air base. Since June 2010 the squadron have been flying Eurofighter Typhoons.